Thursday, May 22, 2014

Soulitude

There are times when my soul needs- no- craves solitude. A solitude I cannot find here, in the city or suburbs or parks or rivers. It comes only from the mountains and the quiet of the New England woods. Places I have escaped to in the past,  where I can wander all day in perfect silence, never encountering another human being. It is these places that hold the calm I need. The opportunity to shut off and unplug and truly relax. I can picture them in my mind, I let myself drift there when I feel like I just can't take anymore.
I can hear the beautiful, barely present hum of life all around me, but not of traffic or people,  of insects, trees, wind, the natural cycle of life.
I yearn to be back there, if only for a little while, to soothe my soul,  untangle my mind and take a long deep breath. To know that it really is ok, because as crazy as everything seems, we are so small and this place will go on, as it has for thousands of years.
It is not a sense of joy or sorrow that I get in these places. Not delight or anguish. It is just a sense of being. Of belonging, of balance.

No comments:

Post a Comment