Thursday, May 22, 2014

Top Ten Movies of the Last Six Months

I've said before that I love movies. Like, I could spend soo much money renting movies on demand that my husband would have a coronary. I have a problem.
It dawned on me that with this love of movies should come a list(s) of my favorites. These are not all 'new', but they are all movies I've watched in the last 6 months or so. Here goes...

1. The Secret Life of Walter Mitty (2013)
This one starts a little slow but is worth watching. Some of the best scenery I've ever seen in a movie and it's a great love story for people who are nauseated by Rom-Coms.

2. The Dallas Buyers Club (2013)
Amazing acting by Jared Leto and I learned more about the early days of AIDS/HIV treatment. 

3. Afflicted (2013)
Found footage movie, without giving anything away, it really surprised me. Not my usual genre but well done and suspenseful.

4. Troll Hunter (2010)
Re: Subtitles, but so worth the hour and 43 minutes. All I can say is that giant trolls have giant shots and it's still almost creepy at a few points. But really, you need a sense of humor for this one.
* Thanks to my Dad for this one :)

5. Yellowbrickroad (2010)
Seriously trippy flick set in New Hamspire, this one is weird. I couldn't tear myself away.

6. Dark Skies (2013)
This one was a surprise, it turned out to be more than I expected. I was waiting for a run of the mill 'haunted house movie' and it was way more than that.

7. American Hustle (2013)
It was just that good.

8. The Conjuring (2013)
Creeped me out after it was over. That's hard to do. Based on some real events, and I'm really glad they didn't use big name stars.

9. Captain Phillips (2013)
Cool piece of trivia about this movie, the 'pirates' were kept away from the 'crew' through filming until the scene where the pirates boarded the ship. There is truly a sense of despair and helplessness due to this genius move.

10. The Place Beyond the Pines (2012)
Mostly because I'm a sucker for the dark, brooding indie type film. And Ryan Gosling

11. Prisoners (2013)
Okay, 11, I couldn't help it. This movie is so suspenseful I'm pretty sure I held my breath through the whole thing.

Honorable Mentions:
1. The World's End (2013)
Simon Pegg and Nick Frost are two of my all time favorite actors and this movie carries on the legacy of awesomeness that is Shaun of the Dead.

2. This Is The End (2013)
Really just a great, funny movie. This is how I see movie stars living their lives in my mind. Until the apocalypse,  of course.

No comments:

Post a Comment